Selk’bag Sleepwear System isn’t just for sleeping
So when is a sleeping bag not a bag? When it’s a sleepwear system. A what? A Selk’bag sleepwear system…i.e. a body suit made of sleeping bag material. When you “wear” your sleeping bag, a whole new world of opportunity awaits.
One of life’s big nuisances is having to crawl out of your nice warm sleeping bag to turn off/on a light, to restock a fire or to go grab something you left outside the tent. After you’ve undressed, the thought of that cold air hitting your skin is anything but pleasant.
SELK’BAG to the rescue
With a Selk’bag sleep system, you literally “put on” your sleeping bag, just as you would with a jumpsuit. Once inside, you’ll be just as warm as in a sleeping bag, maybe even warmer, but you’ll still have the freedom to move around. Get up, walk outside, grab a photo of the stars, whatever…you’ll still be toasty warm thanks to the Krekran insulation technology. Should you get too warm, there are two zippers on the legs to allow ventilation.
Each time I’ve worn the Patagon, I’ve been super impressed with its comfort and how well it keeps out the drafts, similar to sleeping in a mummy bag; but with none of the restrictions. I may look like the Michelin man, but I’ll dare say I’m more comfortable than most in their conventional bags.
Selk’bag originated in the Chilean Andes, and was inspired by the Selk’nam native people of Tierra del Fuego, one of the coldest places on the continent.
In the Selk’bag Patagon system (their newest) you’ll have a couple great advantages not originally available in the older models.
- Removable booties can be unzipped, allowing the user to wear his/her own shoes or boots for extended walking outdoors.
- Magnetic closures in the sleeves allow your hands to pop outside the insulated shell on a moment’s notice and then quickly reseal once you pull your hands back inside.
- Velcro straps assist in allowing the Patagon sleeves to be “rolled-up” when you’ve got a lot of work to do and you don’t want your puffy sleeves in the way.
- Shell: Nylon Rip-Stop, Water Resistant Finish
- Insulation: Synthetic
- Lining: Polyester
- Temp Rating: Comfort 44°F; Limit 35°F; Extreme 9°F (EN13537)
- Sizing: Please see “Sizing Instructions” below
- Product Measurements: 72” w x 73” h (M); 79” w x 79” h (L); 84”w x 86” h (XL)
- Carry Size: 15” x 9” (M); 15” x10” (L); 16” x 10” (XL)
- Carry Weight: 4.0 lbs (M); 4.3lbs (L); 4.7lbs (XL)
The Patagon comes in three sizes:
- Medium:4’11 to 5’5″
- Large:5’5″ to 5’11”
- Extra Large:5’11” to 6’4″
Other models, including a comic book hero line for kids, are available from the Selk’bag website.